There are three thrift shops that I frequent in a town about 40 minutes drive away from the farm. They have the Salvos, St Vincent de Paul and one called Fossick and Find and that is where I found two cotton double bed sheets in very good condition for $2.00 each. My test to see if any unlabelled fabric is cotton is to iron it with the hottest setting and if it catches at all, I know there is some polyester in it. These sheets are definitely pure cotton and very retro coloured and patterned.
Sunday, May 26, 2013
Saturday, May 25, 2013
This afternoon I cut back the hydrangeas, a climbing iceberg rose and deadheaded the agapanthus along the front of the house. I also planted some cuttings from the hydrangeas so hopefully I will have some pots in bloom for Christmas . More gardening tomorrow I hope.
Thursday, May 23, 2013
I have not been happy for a while with how my photos come out on the blog. It is so quick and easy to use the ipad but the pictures always look a bit blurry. When I use the desk top computer the pictures look better but it takes such a long time to upload. I am now using flickr, but you can only load one photo at a time in your post. Pic stitch has come in handy to combine the photos I want to use.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Sunday, May 19, 2013
Our three little bantam chicks were about 6cm when they hatched. Baby chicks grow very rapidly and when they start to get their feathers the cuteness goes. I am wasting a lot of time watching their antics, but I know they will lose their appeal soon.
Saturday, May 18, 2013
This Bantam has been missing for weeks. We thought a hawk or fox had taken her so It was quite a surprise when I opened the henhouse yesterday morning to find her back with three tiny chicks. We don't know where she was hiding or how she got back. Bantams usually make very good mothers and they are in a separate cage now so the others don't harm them.
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Saturday, May 11, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
It has been a long time since I have done any clothes sewing for a little girl, my own daughter is a thirtysomething Mum herself now. I have seen so many pretty dresses and skirts on the internet using Vintage Sheets I decided to cobble together a pattern and try one out. I used a bodice tutorial from here which gathers the skirt using fishing line. My dress opens at the back and uses press studs to fasten it. It should fit a two year old and the sheet I used is 100% cotton.
Thursday, May 9, 2013
It was a local pick up and and when I corresponded with the seller she said she may have underestimated the quantity a little.
There were 16 bags in the end and I thought my boot would explode on the way home. My daughter very kindly relieved me of a couple of bags of the fabric that she liked and a couple more have gone to the op shop. I have been sorting and washing and ironing and starting to cut out squares for a doona cover. I have already made a few bibs, I am up to hemming 4 skirts and experimenting with a dress for a little girl.
It is just as well I am planning new storage cupboards for my workroom.
Sunday, May 5, 2013
I finished this quilt in good time for a new arrival thinking it was a neutral pattern and colour scheme. It is a Disappearing Nine Patch B...
Irish Chain and Disappearing Four Patch. It has been a while but I have finished two Blankets of Love to send to Cheryll I would like to ...
I am just home today after a week with our Daughter and her two young children. She had a three day conference and needed a little help so ...